The Parish Charter
This Covenant embraces the work of all groups and individuals in the parish who express their faith in Our Lord by their actions for the poor, as well as all the prayers and acts of kindness, and gifts of time, energy and resources.
In practice, a small group of parishioners meets regularly to plan a sequence of appeals which take place four times a year—at the beginning of Lent, on Trinity Sunday, in September and at the beginning of Advent. Some of the projects undertaken in recent years are illustrated by the photographs on this page. The group strives to hold a balance between international projects and those more locally based. Some long-term projects are supported a number of times, typically 3-4 years apart.
To qualify for support, a project must be undertaken by a registered charity, and should have measurable outcomes. Contact with each charity is maintained so that proof of the planned outcome is available, and the group reports back to the parish via a quarterly newsletter.
A typical amount raised for a given project is £4-5,000, sometimes more. Over the past five years, over £100,000 has been donated by parishioners to 17 different charities, 12 working overseas and 5 in the UK.
All parishioners with a passion for social justice are welcome to join the group, and to bring their ideas and proposals for the group to discuss. Group members prepare the quarterly leaflets and make the appeals at all masses on the chosen weekend. They also help to collect the donations at these masses.
Do please contact the parish office if you would like to come to a group meeting – these are advertised in PeterPost. We always welcome new ideas and would like to feel the whole parish is actively taking part in our efforts to relieve poverty and distress wherever we can make a difference.
- Covenant With the Poor Appeal June 2022 – helping early development of pre-school children
- Covenant With the Poor Appeal – 11th- 12th December 2021 – Help the eradication of human trafficking by supporting the Medaille Trust
- Covenant With the Poor Appeal – 9-10th October 2021 – Help rebuild Catholic school in Adigrat, Ethiopia
- Covenant With the Poor Appeal – 29-30 May 2021 – Enabling people with Learning Disabilities
- Covenant With the Poor Appeal – Reliable water supply for Luangwa Valley community in Zambia
Parish Contact: Peter McManus